Den Jyske Opera / Danish National Opera is recruiting an Artistic Director
Den Jyske Opera / Danish National Opera is seeking an Artistic Director (Danish title: Operachef) to lead the artistic profile and development of the opera as of 2024.
Danish National Opera (DNO) is Denmark’s touring opera company, working passionately and professionally since 1947 to create and perform a versatile and high-quality opera repertoire consisting of both older and newer works, with a special focus on Danish works.
DNO is supported by the Ministry of Culture and Aarhus Municipality, is based in Aarhus, Denmark’s second largest city, and tours throughout Denmark with both traditional and innovative opera for all ages, with a focus on audience development. The Danish National Opera currently has around 60 artistic, technical, and administrative employees.
The Artistic Director has the artistic responsibility for the Danish National Opera and must ensure a diverse range of opera for audiences throughout the country. The Artistic Director and DNO’s Managing Director constitute the executive management of the Danish National Opera and report directly to the board.
We are looking for an Artistic Director with artistic leadership experience, who has:
- A distinct artistic profile and a vision for the Danish National Opera.
- Detailed knowledge of the operatic repertoire and of the Scandinavian and international opera world.
- A strong international network within European arts and culture communities.
- Experience in recruiting and managing artists as well as curating/producing/staging opera.
- An open-minded and empathic leadership style with attention to the well-being of employees.
- Strong communication skills in Danish/Scandinavian, English, and preferably other languages.
- The skills and desire to present and represent the Danish National Opera to the institution’s many stakeholders and collaborators, including the Agency for Culture and Palaces, Aarhus Municipality, theatre associations, venues, and regional orchestras as well as politicians, the press, foundations, sponsors, professional organizations, and artistic environments and networks.
Knowledge of Danish or Nordic languages, culture, and cultural life will be considered an asset.
Salary and employment conditions are subject to negotiation.
Danish National Opera has offices and administration in Musikhuset Aarhus as well as rehearsal facilities, workshops etc. in Frichsparken, Aarhus. The Artistic Director’s daily work takes place at these two locations as well as on tours throughout Denmark.
The application is submitted via Curia’s recruitment site. All applications are processed confidentially. Interviews will be held over the summer and the appointment is expected to take place in autumn 2023. The starting date is 1 May 2024, or as soon as possible thereafter.
For further information, please contact Michael Reffstrup, managing partner at Curia, on tel. +45 22771490, or Leif Lønsmann, chairperson of the board of the Danish National Opera, on tel. +45 20120312. Read more about the Danish National Opera at www.jyske-opera.dk.
Looking for the Danish version?